COURSE TITLE: CENTRAL SERVICE TECHNICIAN
900 clock hours SOC: 31-9093.00
The Central Service Technician Diploma Program is 900 clock hours training consisting of classroom theory, skills laboratory and 400 hours of clinical externships in an approved facility. Classroom theory is taught in both synchronous and asynchronous learning. After successfully completing the program, the graduate will be eligible to take the CRCST certification exam through the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM).
This Sterilization program is designed to teach students the skills for cleaning, packaging, sterilizing, disinfecting, and decontaminating instruments used by medical personnel and ensure that they are sterile, clean and ready. The program provides the students a comprehensive background of patient care services including familiarity with every instrument or tool used, store, pass out and keep records related to sterilization monitors, orders and inventory.
After successfully completing this course the student will be able to perform the following:
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge of medical terminology including human anatomy and physiology.
- Apply knowledge of local, federal, and state health care legislation such as proper documentation and reporting.
- Decontaminate, process, assemble, store and distribute medical devices and supplies.
- Examine and clean tools and surgical equipment before sterilization.
- Sterilize equipment and ensure there are adequate surgical supplies.
- Put cleaned instruments in sterilizers like autoclaves.
- Maintain records related to sterilization monitors, orders, charges to patients, and inventory.
- Report any possible equipment defects or problems to health care staff.
- Ensure sterile supplies have not expired.
- Keep a sterile environment.
- Demonstrate ethical and professional behavior congruent with standards of practice.
|Course Code||Course Title||Total Clock Hours|
|CST 100||INTRODUCTION TO CENTRAL SERVICE, STANDARDS AND MEDICAL ETHICS||40|
|CST 110||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY, ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY||40|
|CST 111||MICROBIOLOGY AND INFECTION CONTROL||40|
|CST 112||DECONTAMINATION AND DISINFECTION||120|
|CST 115||RISK MANAGEMENT AND QUALITY ASSURANCE||40|
|CST 116||RECORDS MAINTENANCE||40|
|CST 117||CUSTOMER RELATIONS||20|