COURSE TITLE: MEDICAL ASSISTANT
900 clock hours SOC: 31-9092.00
This Medical Assistant Diploma Program is 900 clock hours training consisting of classroom theory, skills laboratory, and 200 hours of clinical externships in an approved medical facility. Classroom theory is taught in both synchronous and asynchronous learning while skills are taught via direct learning at the skills laboratory on-campus. The Medical Assistant program is designed to teach all aspects of supporting a medical office both front (Administrative) and back (Clinical). Students learn patient care and clinical procedures, medical terminologies, patient assessment, examination, diagnosis and treatment, clinical assisting, and routine laboratory procedures, front office procedures, effective communication, patient scheduling and office management, coding, billing, records and basic computer skills. Students may be eligible to sit for certification testing.
After successfully completing this course the student will be able to perform the following:
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge of medical terminology including human anatomy and physiology.
- Perform administrative procedures.
- Perform Medical Coding and Billing.
- Perform medical insurance verification.
- Perform clinical duties such as applying principles of aseptic techniques and infection control, taking vitals and patient histories, collecting and processing specimens, preparing patient and assisting with procedures and exams, administering medications, and blood collection.
- Perform EKG.
- Apply HIPAA rules in regard to privacy and patient information.
- Apply knowledge of local, federal, and state health care legislation such as proper documentation and reporting.
- Manage the clinical facility, equipment and inventory.
- Demonstrate professional conduct in regards to ethical behavior within the scope of practice of a medical assistant.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic computer.
- Demonstrate knowledge of computer software as it applies to electronic health records.
|Course Code||Course Title||Total Clock Hours|
|CMA101||MEDICAL LAWS, ETHICS AND INTRODUCTION TOMEDICAL ASSISTING||18|
|MA 105||MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY||20|
|MA 106||ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY WITH PATHOPHYSIOLOGY||40|
|CMA102||PHARMACOLOGY AND ADMINISTERING MEDICATION||18|
|MA 109||PSYCHOLOGY AND EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION||16|
|MA 107||GENERAL PATIENT CARE||40|
|MA 108||ADMINISTRATIVE MEDICAL ASSISTING PROCEDURES||60|
|CMA 103||CLINICAL ASSISTING 1||54|
|CMA 104||CLINICAL ASSISTING 11||54|
|MA 110||MICROBIOLOGY AND INFECTION CONTROL||20|
|CMA 105||CLINICAL ASSISTING III||80|
|MC 101||MEDICAL CODING||80|
|MC 104||HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY/EMR/HER||40|
|MB 110||MEDICAL BILLING||80|
|MBC 100||CAREER DEVELOPMENT||20|
|MA 111||CLINICAL EXTERNSHIP||200|